This Austin 'Low Loader' Taxi was First registered in March 1935.
Used as a Owner Driver taxi in London till the mid 1950s, with a change of owner in 1949.
On retirement it was bought by a group of students in the 1950s. After a time one of the group bought the others out and restored the vehicle over a long period. In 1986 the restoration was completed and the vehicle was then used for occasional 'Wedding hire' till sold in 1991 to the current owner.
The Current owner (?) has restored the vehicle further
- Reconditioned engine fitted in 1996
- recreation use is now 1200- 3000 miles per annum
- Vehicle weighs about 1.5 tons
- running speed 38-40 mph (for comfortable operation of the engine)
- Average mpg = 20-22
- No heater for driver or passengers
- drivers compartment is open !
- Passengers get connelly leather seats & coconut floor matting
- originlly had no indicators (retro fitted for safety)
Some of the events attended by this vehicle include;
- List of British car marques - for other obscure British makes
- List of Vehicles by registration number
- Shows and Meets
- Classic vehicle shows
References / sourcesEdit
- photos of car from event at National Coal Mining Museum for England
Add any directly relavant links here (others to Web Site Links page