Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
(From wikipedia) (History requires expanding, with emphasis on UK and Tractors / Plant applications adding)
Public (NYSE: CMI)|
S&P 500 Component
|Founder(s)||Clessie Lyle Cummins|
Cummins Corporate Office Building|
Columbus, Indiana, U.S.
Theodore 'Tim' Solso, Chairman & CEO |
Tom Linebarger, COO
Pat Ward, CFO
|Products||Engines, Filtration, Power Generation, Turbo Technologies|
|Revenue (turnover)||▼$10.8 billion USD (2009)|
|Net income||▼$428 million USD (2009)|
|Total assets||$8,816 million USD (2010)|
|Total equity||$3,773 million USD (2010)|
Cummins Inc. a global power leader, is a corporation of complementary business units that design, manufacture, distribute and service diesel and natural gas engines and related technologies, including fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, emission solutions and electrical power generation systems. Headquartered in Columbus, Indiana, USA Cummins serves its customers through a network of more than 500 Company-owned and independent distributor locations and approximately 5,200 dealer locations in more than 190 countries and territories. Cummins reported net income of $739 million on sales of $13 billion in 2007.
Today more than 51% of Cummins' business comes from operations outside of the United States. Part of Cummins model is to create partnerships with key players in foreign markets and they have done so recently in China and India.
Cummins is named after inventor-mechanic Clessie Cummins, who was one of the key players in the founding of the company. He was financially backed by investor William Irwin, starting in 1918, as he improved on existing diesel engine designs.
Cummins UK OperationEdit
- Main article: Cummins UK
The Cummins UK HQ is based in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire.  Cummins UK has a Large manufacturing unit based in Darlington, in Cleveland, England. The factory is a modern production facility.
Cummins Turbo TechnologiesEdit
The Holset Engineering Co. was a British company that produced turbochargers, primarily for diesel and heavy duty applications. The company had its roots in 1948, when W. C. Holmes became interested in Louis Croset's flexible coupler design. The company started when Paul Croset was convinced to start up and manage the venture, which was based in Huddersfield, England. Holset as we know it came into existence in 1952 as a Private limited company (Ltd), with the name coming from the first half of Holmes and the last half of Croset.
In 1973 the company was purchased by Cummins after briefly being owned by the Hanson Trust group, and continued to expand for the next thirty years. Holset now operates facilities in China, India, Brazil, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the United States.
In 2006, the division officially changed its name to Cummins Turbo Technologies to be identified more closely with its parent company. The turbocharger products still use the Holset brand name.
Cummins Filtration (formerly Fleetguard)Edit
Cummins Filtration is head-quartered in Nashville, Tennessee, USA and operates facilities in nine other countries around the world. The Filtration Business Unit of Cummins produces filtration products for the diesel and gas markets. Products include oil, coolant, and air filters. The division officially changed its name to Cummins Filtration but continues to brand products under the Fleetguard name.
Cummins Emission Solutions (formerly Nelson)Edit
Exhaust and emissions after-treatment company Nelson Industries was purchased in 1999 due to the increasing importance of exhaust after-treatment systems for meeting future emissions standards. The division officially changed its name to Cummins Emission Solutions to be identified more closely with their parent company.
Cummins Power Generation (formerly Onan)Edit
Power Generation Business Unit is Cummins' second-largest business segment. This business unit manufactures, sells and services power generation and related equipment, such as alternators, around the world for commercial and consumer use.
- Beijing Foton Cummins Engine Company Limited (BFCEC) - 50/50 j.v. formed in 2006 with Beiqi Foton Motor Company to produce two types of Cummins light-duty, high-performance diesel engines. (ISF engines)
- Chongqing Cummins Engine Company Ltd. - China - j.v. with China National Heavy-duty Truck Corporation, now Chongqing Heavy Duty Vehicle Group in Chongqing, China. Formed in 1995 to manufactures several models of Cummins heavy-duty and high-horsepower diesel engines in China.
- Consolidated Diesel Company (CDC) - Whitaker, North Carolina, USA - 1980-2008 - 50/50 j.v. originally with Case. Dissolved with CNH Global (Fiat). Cummins took ownership.
- Cummins/Dongfeng Joint Ventures - China
- Dongfeng Motor Corporation licensed in 1985 to manufacture Cummins B Series engines, now known as Dongfeng Automotive Corporation (DFAC). Assets combined into DCEC venture in 2003.
- Dongfeng Cummins Engine Co. Ltd. (DCEC) formed in 1995 for Cummins C Series engines.
- Cummins (Xiangfan) Machining Company Ltd. (CXMC) formed in adjoining facilities in 1998and is wholly-owned. Mfg. B Series cylinder blocks and cylinder heads. Assets combined into DCEC venture in 2003.
- Shanghai Fleetguard Filter Co., Ltd. - j.v. with Dongfeng to mfg filters.
- Cummins India Ltd. - India - 1962-current - Majority partner. Originally with Kirloskar, and now includes others, as well.
- Cummins/Komatsu Arrangements - two joint ventures formed in 2004 with Komatsu, one to mfg Cummins engines in Japan; Cummins Komatsu Engine Corporation (CKEC) to mfg Komatsu engines in USA. 1997, 3rd j.v. formed to mfg industrial engines in Japan.
- European Engine Alliance (EEA) - Turin, Italy - 1996-2008 - 1/3 jv with Iveco and CNH Global, both units of Fiat at the time. Cummins sold shares to Fiat.
- Cummins MerCruiser Diesel Marine LLC - j.v. formed in 2002 with Mercury Marine, a division of Brunswick Corporation, develop, manufacture and sell recreational marine diesel products.
- Cummins/Scania Joint Venture - 70% owned joint venture formed in 1999 with Scania for mfg of heavy-duty diesel engines.
- Cummins/Westport Joint Venture - Canada - j.v. with Westport Innovations Inc., located in British Columbia, Canada, to develop and market low-emissions, high-performance natural gas engines.
- Hyundai Cummins Engine Company (HCEC) - Established in 2012 in Daegu, South Korea, a 50/50 joint venture partnership to manufacture MidRange engines extending from 150 hp to 300 hp (112-224 kW) output for application in a wide range of Hyundai Heavy Industries construction and industrial equipment. Engine manufacturing is to being in 2014. It includes MidRange 5.9-liter to 8.9-liter displacement range for Hyundai excavators, wheel loaders and industrial equipment, based on the Cummins B, C and L MidRange platforms.
- Kukje partnership - South Korea - Announced in 2002 to collaborate to design, manufacture and market Cummins A-Seris engines for the industrial markets.
- NewageAVK/SEG Joint Venture - Newage International Ltd., a subsidiary of Cummins, formed j.v. in 2001 with AVK/SEG Holding GmbH & Co. KG of Germany to manufacture alternators and power electronics. Cummins now owns 100 percent of AVK and 25 percent of SEG.
- Tata Group Joint Ventures - India
Worldwide Manufacturing LocationsEdit
|BMC Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S. (licensee)||Izmir, Turkey||B3.9/5.9 C8.3|
|Chongqing Cummins Engine Company Ltd.||Chongqing, China||M11 NT K19/38/50|
|Columbus Engine Plant||Columbus, Indiana||ISX Cylinder Blocks and heads; Light-Duty Diesel engine|
|Columbus MidRange Engine Plant||Columbus, Indiana||ISB|
|Consolidated Diesel Company||Rocky Mount , North Carolina||B3.9/4.5/5.9 C8.3 ISB ISC QSB ISL QSC QSL|
|Cummins Beijing Co. Ltd.||Beijing, China||Generator Sets|
|Cummins Brasil Ltda.||São Paulo , Brazil||B3.9/5.9 C8.3 NT/N14 ISB ISM Generator Sets|
|Cummins India Ltd.||Pune, India||N14/NT K19 V28 K38/50 OSK60 Generator Sets|
|Cummins India Ltd.||Daman, India||Generator sets and natural gas engines|
|Cummins Industrial Center||Seymour, Indiana||K19 V903 QSK19|
|Cummins Komatsu Engine Co.||Seymour, Indiana||QST30|
|Cummins Marine Charleston||Charleston, South Carolina||Marine propulsion K19 to QSK 60, marine auxiliary engines B3.9 to QSK 60|
|Cummins MerCruiser Diesel||Charleston, South Carolina||B3.9/5.9 C8.3 QSB5.9 QSC8.3 QSL9 QSM11 Sterndrives|
|Cummins Natural Gas Engines, Inc.||Clovis, New Mexico||G/GTA5.9, 8.3 and 855 GTA14, 19, 28, 38, and 50|
|Cummins Power Generation||Fridley, Minnesota||Generator sets and electronic controls|
|Cummins Power Generation||Singapore||Generator sets and electronic controls|
|Cummins Power Generation||Ramsgate, England||Generator sets and electronic controls|
|Cummins S. de R. L. de C. V.||San Luis Potosi , Mexico||L10 N14, recon engines, filters and engine components|
|Cummins Scania Fuel Systems||Columbus, Indiana||HPI fuel systems|
|Cummins Scania Fuel Systems||Columbus, Indiana||XPI fuel systems|
|Cummins Westport Inc.||Vancouver, Canada||Natural gas engines|
|DarlingtonEngine Plant||Darlington, England||B3.9/5.9 B4.5/6/7 C8.3 ISB ISC ISL QSB QSC|
|Daventry Engine Plant||Daventry, England||K38/50 QSK45/60 QSK78 WSVs81/91 QSK19 rail power packs|
|Dongfeng Cummins Engine Co. Ltd.||Xiangfan, China||B3.9/5.9 C8.3|
|JamestownEngine Plant||Jamestown, New York||ISM L10 G-L10 ISX|
|Komatsu Cummins Engine Company Ltd.||Oyama, Japan||B3.3 B3.9/5.9 C8.3|
|Tata Cummins Limited||Jamshedpur, India||B3.9/5.9|
|Xi’an Cummins Engine Company||Shaanxi Province , China||ISM|
Cummins has an extensive manufacturing, distributor and dealer network with 550 Company-owned and independent distributor locations and more than 5,000 dealer locations that provide sales, service and support for its products worldwide.
- U.S. and Canada
- Latin America
- Cummins UK 
- Cummins South Africa
- Middle East
- East Asia
- Northeast/Southeast Asia
- South Pacific
The 5.9-litre B-series used in school buses has proven to be very popular. The high-horsepower (greater than 15 litres displacement) engines are manufactured in Seymour (Indiana, USA), Daventry (England) and Pune (India). The Heavy duty (10-15 litre displacement) M and X series engines are manufactured in Jamestown, NY. The B, C and L series engines are manufactured in numerous plants across the world.
- A Series
- B Series/ISB
- C Series/ISC
- I6 - 8.3 L (Used in Dennis Trident 2)
- L Series/ISL
- M Series/M11/ISM
- I6 - 10.8 L (Used in Dennis Trident 3)
- N Series
- X Series/ISX/Signature 600
- I6 - 14.9 L
- K Series/QSK
- V/VT Series
- Z Series/ISZ
- I6 - 13 L
Q series engines
Cummins Turbo TechnologiesEdit
- Holset Pre-H Range - 3L, 4L, 6"
- Holset H-Range - H2A/B/C, H3B, HC5A
- Holset HX Range - HX25, HX30, HX35, HX40, HX50, HX60, HX82
- Holset HE Range = HE351CW, HE451Ve
- Cummins Power Generation
- Cummins On-Line Specifications
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.jsp?siteId=1&langId=1033&menuId=1&overviewId=1&menuIndex=0
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Fortune 500 2010: Top 1000 American Companies - Cummins - CMI - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com". Money.cnn.com. Retrieved on 2011-02-02.
- ↑ http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.jsp?menuIndex=0&siteId=1&overviewId=1&menuId=1&langId=1033&
- ↑ http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Cummins_%28CMI%29/Filing/10-K/2005/F2285072
- ↑ http://www.cummins-cq.com
- ↑ http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?id=55547
- ↑ http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.jsp?dataId=2137&anchorId=49&menuIndex=none&feed=1&siteId=1&overviewId=9999&menuId=4&langId=1033&
- ↑ http://www.cummins.com
- ↑ http://distribution.cummins.com/wps/portal/uk
- Cummins Corporate Web Site
- Cummins UK Web Site
- Cummins Power Generation - Industrial Generators, Transfer Switches, and Rental Power Equipment
- Cummins Onan Consumer Generators for Marine, Home, Commercial Mobile, Portable, and APU
- Cummins Turbo Technologies - Holset Brand Mid-range and Heavy-duty Turbochargers
- Cummins QuickServe Online - Cummins Parts and Service Information
- Cummins Filtration - Fleetguard Brand Oil, Air, and Fuel Filters
|This page uses some content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Cummins. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons by Attribution License and/or GNU Free Documentation License. Please check page history for when the original article was copied to Wikia|