|Engine make||Ford or Perkins|
The Fordson Major Model E27N Tractor was introduced in 1945 and produced till 1952.
The E27N retained the Model N's 28.5 h.p. petrol and tractor vaporizing oil (TVO) side-valve engine that was fitted with cast iron pistons, splash feed lubrication, magneto ignition and a hand starting handle. The transmission was re-designed with a single-plate clutch, crown wheel differential, spur gear final drive and independent drum rear wheel brakes but the Model N gearbox was retained. There was an option of standard or high speed transmission versions, giving a top speed of 4.2 m.p.h.or 7.5 m.p.h. respectively. To differentiate between them the tractors with the low top gear had a green spot or if fitted with the optional higher gear a red spot was painted on the transmission case.
The tractors were painted in a dark blue, with orange wheels. The tractors had an improved hydraulic lift system fitted, and Ford worked with several manufacturers to develop a new range of implements to go with the tractors.
From 1947 the option of a Perkins P6 Diesel engine of 45 hp (34 kW) was offered, as farmers started to move from petrol to diesel. These models have a chrome badge of "4 rings intersecting a square stood on a corner" fitted to the radiator grill. This was a factory option but some models were retro fitted by dealers later or by farmers using conversion kits.
- Agricultural version - Std model, various changes and options during its production run.
- Petrol/paraffin - Steel lug wheels
- Petrol/Paraffin - Rubber tyres
- Diesel P6 TA
- Industrial Tractor - Drawbar with cushioning spring, No PTO, No Linkage, Windshield/canopy
- Row Crop (Tricycle) version not offered but Bettinson did a single front wheel conversion kit.
- Some machine were used as the basis for other machines such as loading shovels by Chaseside.
- "County Commercial Cars Company" also build some tracked conversions.
- Barford & Perkins - Roller conversion
- Muir-Hill - dumper conversions
- Roadless - Half track conversions
Till may 1950 on RH side of Engine block, then on the Flywheel housing
- 1945 - 980250
- 1946 - 993498 (after 996341 drawbar changed)
- 1947 - 1018978
- 1948 - 1054094
- 1949 - 1104657
- 1950 - 1138235
- 1951 - 1180610
- 1952 - 1216575 to 1216990 (last built)
There are a lot of preserved machines about, some have been restored to a condition far superior to how they left the factory.
Please list any known examples of this model of tractor;
- 507 UXM - sn 1018870 at Newark Vintage Tractor and Heritage Show 2008
- EC 7?91 - at Belvoir Castle Steam Festival 2008 (number part obscured) ?
- BSK 412 - at Masham Steam Engine and Fair Organ Rally 2009
- EAS 851 - at Kettering Vintage Rally and Steam Fayre 2008
- HAS 291 - at Masham Steam Engine and Fair Organ Rally 2009
- Llandudno Transport Festival - at
- Duncombe Park Steam Rally 2009 - Industrial model at
|Make + Model No.||Reg No. |
|Serial No.||Build-Date||Engine-Type/Make||Owner |
|Photo||Were seen/Featured in||Other info|
|Fordson Major||507 UXM||sn1018870||date||engine||owner ?||at Newark Vintage Tractor and Heritage Show 2008||notes|
|Fordson Major|| |
(number part obscured)
|sn||date||engine||owner ?||Belvoir Castle Steam Festival 2008||notes|
|Fordson Major||BSK 412||sn||date||Perkins P6||owner ?||at Masham Steam Engine and Fair Organ Rally 2009||Perkins Conversion|
|Fordson Major||EAS 851||sn||date||engine||owner ?||at Holcot Steam Rally + Kettering 2008||notes|
|Fordson Major||HAS 291||sn||date||engine||owner ?||Masham Steam Engine and Fair Organ Rally 2009||Fitted with Carco winch|
|Fordson Major||sn||date||engine||owner ?||at Llandudno Transport Festival 2008||notes|
|Fordson Major (Industrial)||sn||date||engine||owner ?||
||at Duncombe Park Steam Rally 2009||Industrial model|
|Fordson Major||UAS 767||sn ?||date||engine||owner ?||A Welland Steam and Country Rally 2012||notes|
|Fordson Major||reg no. ?||sn||date||engine||owner ?||
||seen at/photo loc||notes|
|Please add any tractor with known reg or serial no. with Photo if possible.|
|Create a page (link) for an individual tractor by linking the reg or serial number using reg number or serial number in the relevant column. Then once saved click the red link to start the new page and add info on that tractor.|
- A Roadless Halftrack Major - 'The Rattler' at Roadless 90
- Roadless no. 4868 a Roadless Fulltrack conversion as a restoration project seen at Roadless 90
- Various articles in T&M magazine
- Perkins Conversions by Alan T Condie.
- Ford Tractor Conversions by Stuart Gibbard.