Garden Tractors are also called "Compact tractors" or "Horticultural Tractors" and are generally designed to be small, and lightweight to operate in the confined space of a garden or small holding plot.
- Ace Hardware - Lawn Tractor
- Acme (North Carolina) - Garden Tractor
- Acres Ltd - Rotary Cultivator
- Allen & Simmonds - Auto Culto
- Allgaier - Germany - Compact tractors
- John Allen Ltd of Oxford
- Ashfield Garden Products Ltd
- ATCO - Lawn mowers
- Bean - Tool carrier
- Berning - Germany
- BMB - Tractors and motor Hoes
- Bolens - Compact tractors and mowers
- British Anzani - makers of the Iron horse
- Bungartz - Germany
- Fahr - Germany
- Garner - Walk behind powered cultivators and Tractors.
- Gravely - USA
- Gunsmith - Based on a BMB Plowmate
- Iseki - Compact Japanese tractors (often used for Grounds maintenance works)
- John Deere - make a range of compact tractors.
- Martin Markham
- Porsche - Germany - compact tractors
- Ransomes with the MG series of crawlers.
- Rollo Croftmaster
- Siemens - Germany
- Wheel Horse tractors
- Winget - best known for dumpers and mixers but built a small tractor for a period.
- AGCO - USA - Lawn and Garden Tractors
- David Brown - built a tool carrier the 2D
- International Harvester - Farmall Cub Cadet
- Iseki - Japanese range of compacts used by landscape maintenance and golf courses.
- John Deere - range of compact machines
- Kubota - Compact Japanese tractor often 4-wheel drive
- Massey Ferguson
- Mitsubishi Agricultural Machinery
Lots of small firms built compact tractors after the 2nd World war partially to use up capacity following the end of war related work and to meet demand but when recession hit a lot folded as demand dried up and as 2nd hand ex WD lend-lease machines became available the market shrunk.