International 1949 KBS-8-1 tractor at American Truck Historical Society show, Fontana, California, 2004
|Manufacturer||International Harvester Co.|
|Production locations||Fort Wayne, Indiana|
|Capacity tons/GVW/GCW||3-4 ton, 22000 lb GVW|
|Model||Super Red Diamond 401|
|Displacement ci / L||401 ci|
|Power HP @ rpm||140 @ 2800|
|Gearbox make (model)||Fuller 5A430)|
|Gears (forward speeds)||10 (5-speed main x 2-speed axle)|
|Axles & drive|
|Rear Axle Make (Model)||Eaton 2-speed|
|Tires standard/optional||9.00-20 10-ply dual rear / 10.00-20 12-ply dual rear (on show truck)|
|Shipping weight||7095 lb|
|List price||$4277 (1949)|
The mid-1948 KB-8-1 was a big-engined version of the International KB-8, intended for tractor duty. It was powered by the 140-hp 401ci engine from the International KB-10, renamed the Super Red Diamond 401. In 1949 versions with a double-reduction rear axle (KBR-8-1) and 2-speed rear axle (KBS-8-1) became available.
References / sourcesEdit
- Crismon, Frederick W. (1995). International Trucks. Motorbooks International, Osceola, Wisconsin.
- Mroz, Albert (1996). The Illustrated Encyclopedia of American Trucks and Commercial Vehicles. Krause Publications, Iola, Wisconsin.
- Hays Antique Truck Museum
- Heidrick Ag History Center
- American Truck Historical Society
- International Trucks