1928 John Deere GP sn 201259 at the Astwood Bank Vintage Gathering 2011
|Preceded by||John Deere Model C|
|Power hp||10 / 20|
|No. of Cylinders||2|
|Factories||Dubuque, Iowa, USA|
The John Deere Model GP (or General Purpose) was introduced in 1928 by Deere & Co. of Dubuque, Iowa, USA. The Model GP was effectively the MkII version of the John Deere Model C which had been introduced in 1927 but had suffered from several problems which resulted in a number of modifications to the design.
The John Deere Model GP was launched in 1928, as a 10-20 hp rated tractor from a 2-cylinder engine. The tractor hada 3-speed gear box. A wide version the John Deere Model GPWT with a tricycle design for row crop work. In 1930a orchard version the John Deere Model GPO was added, which was fitted with extended fenders (wings) that covered most of the rear wheels. Some GPO tractors were converted by Lindeman into crawler tractors.
- production figures from 1928 till 1935 went up to about 15,000 max per year in 1930.
These tractors were built in huge numbers in the USA but few were imported into the UK. Many of the examples on show in the UK are recent imports, as the US climate ina lot of states has treated the tractors better so reasonable condition examples can be found.
- John Deere GP sn 201529 - early example and imported into UK in the 1990s and restored in 1998. Owned by B. Cowely
- add your tractor here
add your photos here
- List of John Deere tractors
- List of Vehicles by registration number
- Clubs Listing
- Two-Cylinder Club - JD owners club in the USA.
References / sourcesEdit
- Deere & Co. Official web site