The first truck was offered in 1914 with 4-wd and 4-wheel steering. !! In 1915 Latil developed with the Tourand company an early agricultural tractor, this was a 20 hp machine that had several novel features: the rear wheels mounted inside the chassis side rails and a hoist device was used to raise and lower a plough or other implement mounted at the rear. The Tourand-Latil was demonstrated at several agricultural trials and after the First World War was marketed for a period. In 1918 Latil resumed his work on road haulage tractors, and from 1925 he began to adapt these for agricultural use, initially in the beetgrowing areas of the Ile de France. Latil also pioneered the use of pneumatic tyres on agricultural vehicles in the late 1920s, and his versatile machines were equally at home in the field or on the road.During the First World War hey built 4x4 Gun tractors for the Army. This evolved into the Latil JTL in 1938, with a 3.0 litre petrol engine and a 6-speed transmission.
The Germany company of MAN took over the factory in the 2nd World War. After the second world war production resumed with the Diesel powered Latil H14 Tl "Navette" launched in the 1950s. Latil was taken over by Renault in 1955, and latter was sold on to truck maker SAVIEM in 19?[clarification needed] and concentrated on forestry machinery production. In 1974 the firm was taken over by Brimont a French trailer builder.
Some models were built in the UK under license by Shelvoke & Drewry, and also by Latil Industrial Vehicles in London. A Belgium factory also built some in the 1930's.
- Latil Iron Horse - DeLion engine powered drive unit for carts
- Latil Gun tractor - Built during WW I
- Tourand-Latil tractor built from 1915- ?
- Latil 4x4 Timber tractor
- Latil series 1 4x4 Timber tractor - 193?
- Latil series 2 4x4 Timber tractor - 193?
- Latil series 3 4x4 Timber tractor - 194?
- Latil JTL
- Latil H10
- Latil H14 TL
A few of these French machines are in UK preservation.
- Latil 4x4 series 1 of 1938 Meadows petrol engine and timber winch in Herefordshire. fitted witha
- Latil 4x4 Series 3 of 1949 Meadows 4-DJ diesel and Automowers winch, restored in Herefordshire.(photo above) fitted with a
- Latil of 1937 built by Latil (UK) in Fulham.
- Latil British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, Lancs. on display at the
|Registration No.||Make-Model or type no||Build-Year||Engine-Make/Type||Weight/class||Chassis/Body type||Owner |
|Photo||Were seen/Featured||Other info|
|Please add any truck with known reg or serial no. with Photo if possible.|
|Create a page (link) for an individual truck by linking the reg or serial number using [[Truck make-model-reg no.|reg number]] or [[Truck make-model-serial no.|serial number]] in the relevant column. Then once saved click the red link to start the new page and add info on that truck.|
- Gallery of Latil - truck pictures at Autogallery.org.ru
- 4-WD online - Latil photo
- Photo of Tourand Latil On steel wheels web site.
- Shelvoke & Drewry info - Latil photo
- Tractors of Europe, by P. Henshaw and A Morland. page 116/117
- Classic Tractors of the World, by N. Baldwin
- add relevant links here