This article briefly deals with one of the recent incarnations of the Leyland empire, to fill a gap in the history Leyland DAF was a commercial vehicle manufacturing company based in the United Kingdom, and a division of DAF NV. In 1993 DAF NV became insolvent and Leyland DAF went into receivership.
The company was formed in 1987 when the Leyland Trucks division, including the Freight Rover van making interests, of the British Rover Group merged with the Dutch DAF Trucks company. The new company, DAF NV, was jointly owned by DAF Beheer BV (60%) and Rover Group (40%). Later the company was floated on the Dutch stock exchange. The new company traded as Leyland DAF in the UK, and as DAF elsewhere.
The company manufactured trucks at its plants in Leyland, UK and Eindhoven, Netherlands, and vans at its Birmingham, UK plant.
Following the insolvency of DAF NV in 1993 four new companies emerged as management buyouts:
- DAF Trucks as a truck manufacturer based in Eindhoven, Netherlands
- LDV Limited as a van manufacturer based in Birmingham, UK
- Leyland Trucks as a truck manufacturer based in Leyland, UK
- Multipart Solutions Limited a logistics company in Chorley, UK
Model range Edit
- Leyland DAF 50 Series
- Leyland DAF 60 Series (up to 18000kg)
- Leyland DAF 70 Series (18000kg to 26000kg)
- Leyland DAF 80 Series (18000kg to 38000kg)
Add your Leyland DAF photos here
These are still relatively modern vehicles and are not really on the preservation scene yet other than as transport for other Vintage vehicles to shows by hauliers
- List of Truck Manufacturers
- Leyland Commercial Vehicles
- Leyland Trucks
- Leyland (engines)
- Commercial vehicles
References / sourcesEdit
|This page uses some content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Leyland DAF. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons by Attribution License and/or GNU Free Documentation License. Please check page history for when the original article was copied to Wikia|