Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Headquarters||Cleveland, OH, USA|
|Key people||Rob Moll, CEO|
|Products||Consumer and Commercial Lawn equipment|
|Revenue (turnover)||$1.190 billion USD (2006)|
|Employees||6,800 (as of 2006[update])|
|Website||MTD Products Inc.|
MTD Products (Modern Tool and Die Company), of Cleveland, Ohio, USA began in 1932, and is a family-owned, private company. They began as tool and die makers, and now are manufacturers of outdoor power equipment for the mass market. MTD's main competitors are Briggs & Stratton and Husqvarna.
Theo Moll, Emil Jochum and Erwin Gerhard formed a partnership to purchase the assets of thr Modern Tool and Die Company located on Power Avenue in Cleveland. The initial capitol investment was $4500 and the company’s end product was tools and dies.
- MTD’s first products were perforating dies and a rolling machine for making window channels for Standard Products.
- 1933 12 employees in MTD and by 1934 the head count was 60 employees.
- 1936 the company produces its first automotive stampings products, grilles for Graham-Paige automobiles.
- 1952 the controlling interest in Midwest Industries Inc.' is purchased. With this MTD begins to manufacture bicycles, velocipedes, pedal cars and playground equipment.
- 1954 - enters the garden equipment industry with introduction of a line of wheelbarrows.
- 1958 - enters the lawn & garden power equipment industry with the production of an 18” power rotary mower.
- 1959 - takes a giant step into future growth when they begin the manufacturing of self-propelled lawn mowers, Garden tractors and other power equipment.
- 1962 - Purchases Sehl Engineering Ltd. of Canada, this later became MTD Products, Ltd. (today’s MTD Canada).
- 1966 - purchases Industrial Plastics Company in Cleveland, OH, USA.
- 1968 - starts snow thrower production.
- 1975 - purchases Yard-Man name from Montgomery Ward.
- 1980 - A new 160,000 sq. ft. manufacturing plant Built in Brownsville, Tennessee, USA. This plant has been recently shut down.[when?]
- 1981 - The Cub Cadet Product line is acquired from International Harvester and renamed Cub Cadet Corporation (CCC), and the White Outdoor Products Company is acquired from the old White Motor Company.
- 1985 - Martin, Tennessee Plant begins operation, and Arnold Corporation is acquired.
- 1986 - Aircap Industries in Tupelo, Mississippi, USA is acquired.
- 1990 Customer Service call center is established
- 1994 - Modern Transmission Development Company plant built in Leitchfield, Kentucky, USA
- 1996 - Joint venture with Lesco creates Commercial Turf Products.
- 2000 - Opening of a Hungarian manufacturing facility with expanded capacity for electrical products and acquired Ryobi giving them the capacity to produce 1.5 million engines and related hand-held products.
- 2001 - acquired Garden Way including the Troy-Bilt and Bolens brands.
- 2006 - Began building lawn equipment under the Massey Ferguson brand for sale in Europe.
- 2007 - Began building the low-end lawn & garden tractors for Toro (company).
- 2008 - Began having a third-party company (located in China) manufacture a new line of engines for the Craftsman 2008 line of Snowthrowers. They are no longer building them with Tecumseh engines, and Tecumseh is bankrupt.
Brands Owned Edit
- Bolens website
- Columbia website
- Cub Cadet website
- Farm King
- Gold Series
- Gutbrod website
- Mow Master
- Mow Master Mastercut
- MTD website
- Ryobi (sold at Costco)) website
- Troy-Bilt website
- Ventzki MTD
- White Outdoor website
- Yard Machines website
- Yard-Man website
- Yard-Man Elite
- Yard-Man Select
Private Label Brands ProducedEdit
MTD currently builds or has built various other brands and store-brand Lawn & Garden tractors over the years, including:
- MTD website
- MTD UK website Distributed by E.P. Barus
- Various MTD-built Lawn & Garden Tractors
- Review of Yardman Mowers
|This page uses some content from Wikipedia. The original article was at MTD Products. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons by Attribution License and/or GNU Free Documentation License. Please check page history for when the original article was copied to Wikia|