An Concourse restored 1958 Universal 3 at Newark Vintage Tractor and Heritage Show 2008
|Superseded by||Nuffield 3/42|
|Power hp||28 hp|
|Displacement cu in /(litre)||? cu. in (2.55 litre)|
|No. of Cylinders||3|
|Bore in (mm)||3.9 inches (95 mm)|
|Stroke in (mm)||4.7 inches (120 mm|
|Naturally aspirated, Turbo or Supercharged||NA|
|Tyre Sizes (std/options)|
|Front||7.5 x 18|
|Rear||12 x 38|
|Weight (nominal) lb/kg||5,650 lb|
Cowley, Oxford, till 1963 |
The Nuffield Universal 3 was built by Nuffield from 1957 to 1961 at the Morris factory at Cowley, Oxford.
Model History Edit
- For Company history see
- Main article: Nuffield
The detailed history of this model is unknown. Can you help add any history for it ?
- Introduced in 1957 to compete with the smaller Ferguson and Ford models, with a 5-forward 1 reverse gearbox. Optional fitted with a side mounted belt pulley and/or IPTO.
Factory locations Edit
- Cowley Oxford (Morris works)
For basic spec. see Info Box.
Variations and Options Edit
Details required of model options.
Serial Numbers Information Edit
|Year||Serial run||Number Built||Notes (Total built 9468).|
|1957||3DL771-501||1045||First built August|
|1961||3DL771-8204||1820||3DL771-10024 Last one built December|
|year||serial no||Number built||Notes|
serial 772-0501 until 772-3063 where IPTO models
Other serial related information:
- Lucas 12Volt dynamo type C39P2 used to engine No. 38241
- Lucas 12Volt dynamo type C40 used from engine No. 38242
- Starter motor lever-engaged used to engine No. 5304
- Starter motor solenoid-operated used from engine No. 5305
- From Engine No. 14063 the timing chain drive is replaced by a train of helical gears
- From Engine No. 9435 they modified the camshaft and Valve stand-down dimensions.
- From Engine No. 14968 A modified Purolator oil filter is fitted
Add details about any of these tractors in preservation. (you can create a separate page by linking using serial no. or reg no. to create a unique page for that tractor)
- Do you know of any examples to add to the table below ?
|Make + Model No.||Reg No. |
|Serial No.||Build-Date||Engine||Owner |
|Photo||Were seen/Featured in||Other info|
|Nuffield Universal 3||3DL 772-2441||1957||BMC Diesel||Peter Tanuck||To add||at Belvoir Castle show 2009|
|Nuffield Universal 3||?||year ?||BMC Diesel||owner ?||At Duncombe Park Steam Rally 2009|
|Nuffield Universal 3||?||year ?||BMC Diesel||Owner ?||Newark Vintage Tractor and Heritage Show 200?|
|Nuffield Universal 3||1958||BMC Diesel||J. Snell||To add||at Belvoir Castle show 2009|
|Make and model||reg no.||Serial number ?||year ?||Owner ?||
||Were seen at||notes|
| Please add any tractor with known reg or serial no. with Photo if possible.|
To add copy the code above and paste in to table in ABC 123 order by reg no.
|Create a page (link) for an individual tractor by linking the reg or serial number by adding [[Tractor make-model-reg no.|reg number]] or [[Tractor make-model-serial no.|serial number]] in the relevant column. Then once the table has been saved click the red link to start the new page and add info on that tractor.|
See also Edit
- Collector related
- Shows and Meets
- Clubs Listing
- Leyland and Nuffield Club
- Collections - Private collections. Often seen at shows - some have Nuffields in them. (how about adding your collection, with some photos)?
References / Sources Edit
External Links Edit