Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The S.E. Davis & Son collection was started by by Mr Davis owner of the S.E. Davis & Son Ltd, a firm of earth moving contractors and quarry operators of Astwood Bank, Redditch. The firm of S.E.Davis & Son are a company with a long history of supplying machines for hire & contract quarry operations. The family also has a growing collection of Classic preserved machines, and hold regular open days to allow people to view there construction plant (museum) collection. They are trying to get planning permission to build a new Shed to store the collection in. This must be one of the biggest collections in the UK. (In excess of 200 machines were on view at this years Vintage gathering, a lot in ex works condition awaiting restoration, but a large number are in running order. 2 sheds were crammed full of mainly crawler machines, and a similar area of machines like motor scrapers and Draglines sat outside in the yard.)
They have displayed several machines at the SED show on the construction charity "the Light House" stand over the last few years. This year (2008) displaying an Allen Trencher.
Current Preservation Fleet Edit
Note: This is just a small selection of the collection that have been featured in the press. The Two sheds contain about 50 machine in each and the surrounding yard probably has the same again at least with some very interesting machines in the undergrowth. Some reports say the family has collected about 480 machines !!
Steam Engine collectionEdit
- A Steam Ploughing engine by John Fowler & Co., a 1918 model BB1 (works no. 15143). the other Half ? of the pair ([[Fowler no 15142| works no. 15142) was also on display, with a large trailed cultivator ?
- Aveling & Porter no. 11115 PU 5894 Acrise Maid - Steam roller (under repair)
- Aveling & Porter no. 14150 Daisy - Steam roller under repair in a workshop.
- Barrows & Co. no. 2420 - Portable
- Burrell no. 3068 Victory - Traction engine
- Foden no. 13832 The Dorset Wanderer - Steam wagon
- Garrett no. 23992 Lucy - Traction engine CF 8478
- Marshall no. 78667 Emily - Traction engine
- Robey no. 29450 King George V - Traction engine
- Several steam era living vans are also in the collection.
- Steam cable operated Balance plough
- Steam cable operated Cultivator
- Trailed mole plough
- Several Caterpillar crawlers;
- Caterpillar D2 SU of 1949 (S/N 5U2576)
- Caterpillar D2 J (S/N 5J3399SP)
- Caterpillar D4 J of 1942 (S/N 7J8566W SP) fited with Trackson Loading shovel gear.
- Caterpillar D4C of 1961 (S/N 24A217) built in Glasgow.
- Caterpillar D6B of ? Fitted with Caterpillar D333 engine fitted with Bulldozer Blade.
- Caterpillar D6 (S/N 2H5624) of 1938 fitted with LaPlant Choate Blade
- Caterpillar D8 (several models)
- Caterpillar D9G dozer this massive machine has a 385 hp engine
- Caterpillar tracked loading shovels;
- Caterpillar 112 Grader from 1950, With Cat D4 engine ex Irish machine.
Dragline / crane fleetEdit
- Several Ruston-Bucyrus Cranes / Draglines and Face Shovels.
- Ruston-Bucyrus 10-RB Dragline
- Ruston-Bucyrus 10-RB Front Shovel from 1945
- Ruston-Bucyrus 22-RB
- Ruston-Bucyrus 30-RB Front Shovel of 1966
- Ruston-Bucyrus 33-RB
- Ruston-Bucyrus 38-RB
- Priestman Cub MKV
- Priestman ?
- NCK Rapier (2)
- Blaw-Knox Excavator mounted on a Truck chassis - (ex MOD)
- Allen Trencher - displayed at Great Dorset Steam Fair in 2007 & 2008 and at SED in 2008, in working order and kept in an as found condition (not painted up).
- Allen Trencher built on a Fordson Major skid unit.
- Allis-Chalmers HD14 GM 6-71 engine producing 132 hp from the 6-cylinder engine.
- Aveling-Barford Calfdozer (S/N 2090) fitted with a Dorman engine.
- Aveling-Barford Motor grader
- Bristol Europa Overloader (2 machines)
- Chaseside Loadmaster 500.
- Several rare Cletrac Crawlers.
- David Brown Crawlers (1 tractor & 1 Buldozer)
- Euclid 'Twin' Crawler with Coal Blade
- Fowler Challenger ? (Meadows engine)
- Grove - Telescopic boom lift
- Hymac - Hymac 480 digger
- International Harvester - various models
- John Deere-Lanz Track shovel
- A Russian Crawler tractor
- Shawnee Poole Dump trailer & County tractor
- Track Marshall ? fitted with front mounted hydraulic crane
- Unipower Timber tractor (remains of chassis & cab)
- Volvo ADT - several
- Several early Diesel rollers under sheets in the yard (Models nos unknown), but include Wallis & Steevens, and Aveling Barford
Tractors & TrucksEdit
- AEC Matador - Timber tractor
- David Brown - crawler with Winch
- Diamond T
- Fordson Model N
- Ford 7000 - on Bowser duty
- Mack Trucks
- Roadless Dexta
- Roadless Major
The company of S.E. Davis & Son Ltd has a large modern fleet of machines employed in its quarry operations and recycling operations, as well as contract hire to other quarries and civil engineering contractors for bulk excavation works.
- Cat 345B Excavator
- Cat 350L Excavator
- Komatsu PC300LC
- Komatsu WA320
- Volvo Motor Grader - tidying up the tractor pulling strip at the Astwood Bank Vintage Gatherng 2008
- A Fleet of Screener's and Several Crushers.
- Mobile Crane
- Tractor unit (s) and low loader (s).
- Trailer tankers
- List of Collections
- List of Construction Plant Manufacturers
- List of Engine Manufacturers
- List of Steam Machinery Manufacturers
- List of Tractor Manufacturers
- Museums List